Become a campus organizer
Students have the power to reshape our future. For over 50 years, the Student PIRGs have worked on college campuses across the country to make sure students have the tools and training to make changes our country needs.
Our country has more problems than it should tolerate, more solutions than it uses, and our politics are too often dominated by special interests. We organize on campuses across the country to help students tackle America’s toughest problems, overcome powerful opposition and win real results.
We work on problems that affect everybody, not just students or a specific group or constituency. Our chapters and clubs on campuses across the country provide the training, professional support, and resources students need to make a difference on issues like getting our country to adopt more clean energy, saving our remaining wildlife and wild places, protecting bees and other pollinators, and turning the tide on the plastic waste crisis.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
As a campus organizer, you’ll work on college campuses to recruit passionate students, provide skills training, and work alongside student activists on their campaigns, giving guidance so that we get results. You’ll help student activists become movement leaders by recruiting volunteers, training potential leaders to take on more responsibility, and doing campaign work themselves.
If hired you will be in charge of running campaigns like these. We’ll give you the training you need to organize your campus and its students into a force for positive change. It’s not for everyone. It’s hard work. It’s long hours and low pay. But you’ll be making a huge impact, and helping to shape the future we all want.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Inspiring and recruiting hundreds of students to take action on important issues.
- Helping students run strategic campaigns. Campus organizers will recruit and train students virtually to run campaigns such as committing the campus to 100 percent renewable energy, eliminating single-use plastics, making college more affordable, and more.
- Building a coalition. Campus organizers work with student volunteers and interns to build a diverse, invested coalition of organizations.
- Training students to be effective social change leaders, using skills such as generating grassroots support and coordinating lobby days and news conferences.
- Building a strong, sustainable, student-funded and student-run organization on campus by fundraising, building relationships with key players on campus, and building our brand.
- Working alongside students to win real reforms for the public that make a tangible difference for our health and our environment.
- Running a citizen outreach office during the summer, where you’ll recruit and lead a team of canvassers to fundraise for important issues.
Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to environmental, public interest and/or student issues, as well as a track record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent communication skills and enthusiasm for the work.
To be successful, you will need to be passionate about making positive change. Because change takes time, and is often incremental, you need to come to work every day ready to fight like hell, even if it’s just for one small step in the right direction. We need people who are driven, work well with all kinds of people, and aren’t afraid to get outside their comfort zones.
PAY & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $30,000-$35,000 in the first year. Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
We’re hiring organizers to work on college campuses in California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, North Carolina, Connecticut, Florida, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia, Texas, D.C., and Washington state.
Apply today at jobs.StudentPIRGs.org. We are hiring for positions starting in August 2023. Immediate positions are also available. Short term positions are also available.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY:
The Student PIRGs work closely with The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs is an equal opportunity employer.
For Los Angeles-based positions: The Student PIRGs will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.